Wednesday, July 3, 2013

And so it begins...

So, we're going to adopt.  Or at least we're starting down that path.
So why are we doing this?  Due to some unforseen circumstances after the birth of our first child last year, our only avenue to expand our brood is via adoption.  Which is fine - I have come to terms with this (mostly - i still have my moments).  Our little guy just turned one so we figured it's time to get the ball rolling on this adoption thing.  E and I have been blessed to have siblings we love and cherish.  I want the same thing for our little peanut.

HOWEVER, if any of you have started the adoption process, you know it can be completely overwhelming.  DO NOT google anything as simple as "adoption agency" or "how to adopt" or "get me a baby" - you will have a bajillion results and neither the time nor the inclination to sort through them.

To start, I have a million questions:
How do I start the process?
Cost?
Domestic or international?
Ethnicity?
Age? This one we have an answer for - as young as possible, preferably newborn. (However, having just had a newborn, this opens a new discussion about whether we're crazy for wanting another newborn.  Sleepless nights, the smell of formula, etc.)

Most of the agencies/consultants we are looking into for guidance are Christian based.  Which is fine, because we are Christians.  But, sometimes these Christian-based organizations make me feel like I'm not Christian enough.  Like, I can't just quote Bible verses or I don't speak Christian-ese.  I'm a lawyer, so I tend to write in a more boring manner if you will.  I realize that's part of being human, having self-doubt and struggling with my own self-esteem.

I'm also worried about the emotional toll.  Since having our little peanut and experiencing a quite terrifying complication that took me months to recover from, I am more emotionally fragile so to speak.  I cry more easily - whether from a sappy commercial (stupid Hallmark) or my baby getting teeth (he's growing TOO FAST!!!!) or a general realization that I cannot control everything (again, STOP GROWING SO FAST!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment